Friday, December 11, 2009

My reading today...

I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.
Jane Austen (1775-1817)

Today, my favorite reading came from none other than a cookbook! Some people consider themselves readers only if they read novels. Not so. Ludic reading comes to a person when enjoyment is gained from reading anything. From bumper stickers and comic books to newspapers and how-to manuals, reading is there for the lot.

As for the bumper stickers, I have decided that I need a rather large one which reads, "Please go around...I am new here!" Seems like every time I am behind the wheel here in Austin, I am ultimately in some poor driver's way. Indeed they are on their way to some place very important and they must reach their destination in good time. But alas, they end up behind one who is, for the most part, LOST! When I am lost, I find that 45 mph is an acceptable rate of speed. I am avoiding that thing called Mopac and all toll roads. Once, I found myself on Mopac and I became...oh, what is the word, FRANTIC! I ended up two counties away from the intended destination. Add nightfall and generously spot the area with heavily condensed fog, and you get...ME, driving 45 mph, can't see upcoming signs, bawling or just about to do so, and a lot of background noise..oh, wait, those would be HORNS! So, to all those charming people with working horns, I do apologize.

As for the manuals, love my cookbooks. They soothe my lost-driver's soul! Just make my horn-hustled way back home and climb the stairs, to cozy up with some coffee or HOT-tea and a relaxing cookbook. See, after all of the hub-bub, I can turn bad into good. The oven contains a delicious aroma of gingerbread cake to be layered with cranberry filling and adorned with orange cream cheese frosting (Paula Deen). Then if the gingerbread men aren't snarfed down with my coffee, they will encircle the cake as makeshift soldiers guarding the moist delicious cake to be raffled off tomorrow for a benefit.

May have to make it again for the home bodies...Walt would not want to miss this one!

Happy reading what makes you happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment